It is recommended that any septic system that moves septic effluent from a septic tank to a drain field has a septic tank alarm in place. The alarm should be located in your house so that if it does sound, you will be able to hear it.
If you recently moved into a newly built home there is a chance that there is a septic tank alarm installed already. If you hear a beeping/buzzing sound or a red light flashing somewhere in your home, your basement or in your yard it may be indicated that your septic tank pump is malfunctioning.
The alarm sounds when septic effluent (wastewater) is not being pumped to the drain field. When you hear or see the alarm, you should call a septic tank pumping company immediately to avoid the septic effluent backing up into your house. The septic tank pumping cost is much lower than the cost of renovating a basement that was destroyed by septic effluent.
There is more than one situation that can cause a septic tank alarm to sound. If you know what the reasons are then you may be able to save yourself a lot of work and some money.
- The power may have been disconnected from the septic tank pump by accident
- Are you properly maintaining your septic tank pump – a septic tank pump will usually last only 10-15 years
- It may be possible that the lines in your septic tank drain field are clogged, causing the water to back up and not drain properly
- Is your septic tank pumped out on a regular basis (every 1-3 years)?
- Was there a power outage in your area that could have created a false alarm?
Never ignore the septic tank alarm because it could result in septic tank failure and a septic effluent backing up into your house. That is never a good situation. If you do not yet have a septic tank alarm installed on your septic tank system look into getting one. It can save you a lot of time, a lot of backbreaking labor and costly repairs.
Below you will find listings for septic tank alarms over at Amazon.com. The prices range between $50 USD and $400 USD. I encourage you to visit Amazon just to read the reviews of each product so that you can make a more informed decision when you decide to buy.
FULL DISCLOSURE: If you do buy from Amazon through the links on this page I will receive a small commission.